The healthcare industry, much like many others, has been greatly impacted by technological advancements. This presents a significant business opportunity for those looking to create custom solutions tailored to specific healthcare needs. In today’s fast-paced world, accessing healthcare without physically visiting a doctor or clinic has become essential. For entrepreneurs passionate about contributing to global well-being, developing a healthcare app akin to Practo is a viable option.
Tapping into the Mobile Health Trend
With the proliferation of smartphones, individuals are increasingly relying on mobile applications to manage their medications and track physical activity. A healthcare app can handle complex and sensitive data, benefiting both doctors and patients. These applications empower patients to take charge of their health while enabling medical practitioners to deliver care more efficiently.
The Right Choice: Building a Healthcare App like Practo
If you’re considering embarking on the journey of creating a app like Practo Clone, you’re in the right place. As a business owner, it’s natural to have a myriad of questions about benefits, costs, development time, documentation, and more. This article aims to provide you with comprehensive insights into building a healthcare app, offering details on customization, essential features, and other critical aspects.
Understanding the Growth of ‘Practo’
In 2008, when digital space in India was still in its infancy, Abhinav Lal and Shashank ND envisioned the potential impact technology could have on the healthcare sector. Practo was conceived as a platform to streamline patient-doctor interactions, digitalize health records, and eliminate the need for physical documentation during medical visits.
Practo’s aggressive marketing and social media efforts led to rapid growth. By 2011, they facilitated 5,000 different treatments, served 5,000 doctors, and catered to 500,000 patients. Today, the company manages over 2 crore patients per month, with more than 100,000 doctors on board. Their growth rate consistently ranges from 50% to 100%, and they operate in over 15 countries with offices in major cities across India.
Securing Funding for Growth
In its early days, Practo faced challenges in securing funding. However, as their network expanded and their impact became more apparent, funding began to flow. Through seven funding cycles, they accumulated over $253 million in funding, marking a testament to their success and potential.
Practo’s Business Model: A Closer Look
A business model serves as the foundation for the feasibility of a product or organization. Practo’s model is built on providing unique value propositions to various stakeholders, including patients, doctors, hospitals, and clinics. They offer a range of services, from online healthcare consultations to comprehensive health plans, medication information, and more.
For Patients, Practo Offers:
- Online Healthcare: Enabling patients to find doctors, clinics, hospitals, and conduct various medical procedures online.
- Practo Plus: A subscription-based health plan providing unlimited online doctor consultations across 20+ specialties.
- Medication Information: Providing certified medical information about various medications.
- Online Physician Consultations: Offering a platform for patients to consult qualified physicians online, reducing costs compared to in-person visits.
- Practo Drive: A tool for maintaining and accessing online medical records securely.
For Doctors and Clinics, Practo Provides:
- Practo Consult: Empowering doctors to connect with patients, offer consultations, and share medical information.
- Practo Health Feed: Allowing health professionals to publish health articles and tips online.
- Practo Profile: Enhancing doctors’ online visibility and connecting them with a wider patient base.
- Practo Pro App: Streamlining tasks for doctors and healthcare professionals.
For Hospitals, Practo Offers:
- Practo Insta: A hospital management system for efficient operations and patient management.
- Practo Qikwell: A hospital relationship management tool to streamline appointments and reduce waiting times.
- Practo Querent: An AI-powered tool for in-depth hospital data analysis.
Diversifying Revenue Streams
Practo’s revenue streams are derived from various sources, including software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions for hospitals and clinics, commissions from patient transactions, and advertising services for healthcare providers.
Strategies for Growing Your Customized Healthcare App
To excel in the healthcare app market, consider implementing the following strategies:
- Simplify Employee Tasks: Provide features that streamline tasks for healthcare professionals, making their jobs more efficient.
- Follow Sales Leads: Implement software that helps track leads, manage existing clients, and identify potential sales opportunities.
- Enhance Customer Relationship Management: Develop features that facilitate seamless communication between healthcare providers and patients, improving satisfaction and trust.
- Provide a Competitive Edge: Offer unique features that set your app apart from competitors, providing a distinct advantage in the market.
Essential Features for Your Healthcare App
To create an effective healthcare app, consider incorporating the following features:
- Patient Panel Module: Including features for registration/login, communication options, finding doctors/clinics, appointment booking, online payments, reviews, and medical records.
- Physician Panel Module: Enabling doctors to manage appointments, access patient records, edit profiles, handle transactions, and generate reports.
- Admin Panel Module: Allowing administrators to oversee operations, manage user data, handle appointments, medication, diagnostics, and payments.
- Clinical Panel Module: Providing features for doctors to interact with patients, manage appointments, access records, and generate reports.
- Test Module: Allowing patients to manage their appointments, access their accounts, and generate reports related to diagnostic tests.
- Delivery Workers Panel: Assisting delivery agents in managing orders, notifications, and account details.
Steps to Build Your Healthcare App like Practo
- Identify the Problem: Conduct thorough market research to identify gaps and problems your app can address.
- Research the Market: Understand the needs and pain points of both medical professionals and patients.
- Plan and Analyze: Develop a clear plan that outlines the objectives, implementation goals, and expected outcomes of your app.
- Initiate Your Project: Set a schedule, create a Product Requirements Document (PRD), and design wireframes.
- Design Wireframes: Create a visual representation of your app’s structure and functionality.
- Develop the App: Collaborate with your development team to bring your app to life.
- Test and Quality Assurance: Thoroughly test your app to ensure it meets all functional and usability requirements.
- Launch and Market: Release your app to the public and implement a marketing strategy to reach your target audience.
- Gather User Feedback: Collect user feedback to make necessary improvements and updates.
- Maintain and Update: Regularly update your app to introduce new features, fix bugs, and stay competitive in the market.
How to Build a Healthcare App like Practo?
Step 1: Defining Your Purpose
In the pursuit of creating a healthcare app akin to Practo, the pivotal first step is to articulate the underlying purpose and rationale for its existence. This endeavor hinges on achieving two paramount objectives:
- Catering to the Specific Needs of Your Target Users
- Fulfilling Your Business Objectives
In light of this, it is imperative to address critical queries during the app’s conceptualization:
- What is the focal point of your business, and how will the app augment its operations?
- How does a mobile application serve as the solution to this identified problem?
- What are the anticipated outcomes?
Step 2: Conduct In-Depth Market Research
Embarking on the development phase necessitates comprehensive market research aligned with your predefined goals. This undertaking serves a dual purpose: it mitigates the likelihood of costly missteps and enhances the efficacy of the healthcare app.
Market research assumes pivotal significance, encompassing an evaluation of competitor blunders and ascertaining the demand for such an app within the consumer demographic.
Through meticulous market research, you glean insights into the existing market demand for your app and the projected investment required to bring a healthcare application like Practo to fruition.
Step 3: Blueprint the Flow and Features
Having validated your research, the next imperative is to translate these insights into a cohesive document. The emphasis lies on crafting detailed outlines that offer a lucid perspective on the app’s user journey.
This blueprint serves as a guiding beacon for the development team, ensuring seamless comprehension and alignment with your vision.
Step 4: Streamlining Features for Optimal Functionality
Armed with the detailed blueprint, it’s prudent to scrutinize the features list. Priority should be accorded to retaining only the core functionalities that encapsulate the essence of your application.
This judicious curation allows for flexibility in future enhancements and ensures precision in meeting your objectives, all while streamlining initial development costs.
Step 5: Engage a Proficient Designer and Developer or Agency
A pivotal juncture arises in the selection of the right talent for app development. It’s imperative to recognize the distinction between a Designer and a Developer, as both bring unique expertise to the table.
Introduction to a Healthcare App like Practo
In the realm of healthcare, designing a high-fidelity prototype for an application similar to Practo is a critical step. It’s essential to understand the distinction between “mid-fidelity” and “high-fidelity” prototypes. The former involves basic digital interfaces or wireframes, while the latter closely resembles the final version. While interactive prototypes yield valuable insights in user testing, their reliability is somewhat limited. For instance, the vertical performance of a landing page tends to be more reliable than a cut-out sketch that users navigate. Throughout the development process, prioritizing user needs remains paramount.
Unraveling the Software Development Process
Front-end Development: Shaping User Interaction
Previous developers working on the client side focus on what users see in websites, programs, and software. They enhance visual features, including textures, navigation, graphics, and overall aesthetics. Their primary objective is to establish effective communication channels that empower users to achieve their goals. Consequently, they play a pivotal role in shaping the user experience aspect of projects aimed at building a healthcare app like Practo. A deep understanding of user experience allows previous developers to forge empathetic connections with end users.
Backend Development: Unseen Digital Infrastructure
The back-end, often referred to as the server side, operates behind the scenes, hidden from the user’s view. It constitutes the digital infrastructure, appearing as an amalgamation of numbers, letters, and symbols—far from comprehensible for non-engineers.
While the front-end is the realm visible to users, the back-end remains concealed. Back-end web developers focus on web servers, programs, and software to ensure seamless operations. They delve into tasks concerning servers, operating systems, APIs, and databases, managing security codes, content, and site design. Collaborating closely with previous developers, they work towards the creation of a healthcare app like Practo, tailored for end users.
The back-end consists of two fundamental components:
- Information Management: Responsible for storing, organizing, and processing data in response to server requests.
- Servers: The intermediary between the database and the client/browser, responsible for transmitting, processing, and receiving data requests.
Together, these components lay the foundation for every website.
Navigating Time and Budget Considerations
Comprehending Costs: Building a Healthcare App like Practo
Developing a healthcare app akin to Practo requires adherence to HIPAA guidelines, especially when handling protected health information. Selecting a development team with expertise in crafting physician-exclusive applications and meeting regulatory standards is imperative.
The actual cost of building a healthcare app like Practo, ZocDoc, or Doctor on Demand hinges on several factors:
- Platform (iOS, Android, Windows)
- UI and UX design complexity (simple, medium, or rich)
- Project intricacy in terms of features and functionalities
- Integration of third-party SDKs for payments and subscriptions
The overall scope, complexity, and customization of the project, along with the extent of work involved, collectively influence the ultimate product cost.
Let’s assume our goal is to develop a healthcare app like Practo, equipped with basic functionalities. This entails creating a mobile app integrated with a web-based control panel, encompassing all the features essential to a comprehensive doctor’s appointment system.
The project can be segmented into the following phases:
- iOS app development
- Android app development
- Web-based control panel creation
- Server setup and integration
Additional technologies and third-party solutions that enhance functionalities include:
- MapKit for seamless map integration
- MCoreLocation for precise user location tracking
- PayPal Payments Pro / Stripe Payments for online payment processing
- Twilio for efficient messaging services
- MAI-based speech recognition technology for voice response systems
- MLogentries and Graylog for robust log management
- MNew Relic for digital performance monitoring
Building the Dream Team
To embark on the journey of building a healthcare app like Practo, a well-rounded team is indispensable:
- Project Manager – 1
- Backend Engineers – 2
- UI/UX Designer – 1
- Frontend Developer – 1
- Android Developers – 2-3
- iOS Developers – 2-3
- QA Engineers – 2-3
On average, the development process for a healthcare app akin to Practo spans six to eight months. The timeline and final cost are contingent on the project’s scale, complexity, and the hourly rate of the development team. Remember, investing in the right team and adhering to industry standards is key to a successful healthcare application.
Functionalities Influence the Cost of Healthcare App Development
Platform Selection for the Application
When it comes to healthcare app development, a critical decision is choosing the platform: iOS, Android, or both. The choice largely depends on your target audience.
However, it’s worth noting that building a healthcare app like Practo tends to be more costly for Android compared to the iOS platform.
Impact of Application Size
The size of a healthcare app directly correlates with its development cost. This size is determined by the complexity and number of features integrated into the application.
Significance of Application Design
The design of the application plays a pivotal role in user engagement. It’s imperative to select a design that not only offers a superb user interface but also ensures an outstanding client experience. Opting for an accurate and appealing UI is crucial.
Remember, the more refined and aesthetically pleasing the app, the higher the design and development costs.
Administration Panel Efficiency
The admin panel ensures that specific features are accessible only to authorized personnel. It encompasses tasks such as meticulous data management, comprehensive analytics of app activity, detailed reports on specialist doctors, clients, and labs. The features integrated by the admin significantly influence the development cost of a healthcare app.
The table below provides an estimate of the hours and corresponding costs for various team members involved in the development of a healthcare app like Practo:
|Team Member||Duties||Approx. Hours (Cost: $20~$100/hr.)|
|Project Manager||Facilitates communication between the team and client, ensuring deadlines are met.||~250 hours (Approx. Full project Engagement)|
|Business Analyst||Enhances the quality of IT products and services, analyzes data for informed business decisions.||~120 hours|
|UI/UX Designer||Responsible for creating a user-friendly interface.||~120 hours|
|Android & iOS Mobile Developer||Develops interactive applications (APIs) for optimal mobile performance. Stays updated with mobile app best practices.||~800-1600 hours|
|Front-End Developer||Writes code and addresses bugs for app development.||~550 hours|
|Back-End Developer||Maintains seamless communication between server and database for app functionality.||~750 hours|
|QA Tester||Ensures app performance aligns with client requirements.||~200 hours|
Additionally, it’s important to consider that ongoing maintenance and updates are vital for sustaining the quality and performance of the app. Regular communication with the development team is essential for incorporating new features and ensuring a seamless user experience.
Estimating Costs for Fixed Price Projects
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to development projects. The key is to ensure your application effectively addresses your business needs and provides value to your clients. A project can be executed by a single full-stack engineer for $20,000, or you may opt for a team of 40, including engineers, testers, managers, and designers, costing approximately $400,000 per month. The cost hinges on the complexity of your application, the platforms it is released on, and the number of integrations involved.
Based on our experience and market research, development in digital wellbeing or healthcare typically ranges from $120–250,000 per project. The average total cost for healthcare applications, inclusive of development, is approximately $425,000 before launch, with development accounting for $200,000 of that total.
Introducing new features and providing excellent customer support is crucial for retaining user interest. It also reinforces customer trust in the app, ensuring it remains a preferred choice for healthcare solutions.
Factors Influencing the Cost of Healthcare App Development
The overall cost of app development depends on various factors, which can vary greatly from one application to another. When it comes to healthcare apps, factors such as application type, design, platform, number of pages, and features play a significant role in cost determination.
Influence of Application Design
The design phase is a critical determinant of healthcare app development cost. Whether your application is basic or complex, transitioning from wireframes to a user interface requires both time and the expertise of creative app designers. This inherently increases the overall development cost.
Impact of Application Features
The development cost of a healthcare application in high demand largely hinges on the functionalities and features incorporated. An application with advanced features and complex functionalities will naturally cost more to develop compared to a basic one with simpler features.
Choice of Development Platform
Creating a tailored healthcare app for iOS typically involves lower costs compared to developing for the Android operating system. Although the Android platform may incur higher development costs due to its larger market share, the potential returns are equally significant.
Expertise of Developers and Team Size
Established mobile app development companies with extensive industry experience and requisite resources are capable of creating exceptional, high-quality healthcare applications while adhering to deadlines. Smaller development teams may need to hire additional expert developers to bridge skill gaps, potentially increasing overall development costs.
Back-end Infrastructure and App Administration
Back-end development entails providing APIs for seamless data exchange between the app and database. The cost of back-end development can vary based on the volume of parameters tracked and the level of detail required.
Conversely, the administration panel oversees app content, user management, and statistical analysis. Selecting an effective panel that aligns with your business requirements is crucial.
Technologies Involved in Building a Healthcare App like Practo
In today’s business landscape, leveraging technical assistance is essential, particularly in the healthcare sector. Here are some key technologies that can be employed to successfully develop a healthcare app akin to Practo:
AI & ML
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are indispensable in modern-day technology. Many prominent healthcare apps, including Practo, have been utilizing AI to enhance their processes. AI tools can assist patients in finding the most suitable doctor for their specific needs, even when faced with diverse specializations.
Blockchain technology has emerged as a game-changer in the healthcare industry. It centralizes critical data, benefiting both doctors and patients. By leveraging blockchain, data leakages can be eliminated, ensuring patients find the right doctor based on their defined criteria.
As your healthcare startup grows, data storage becomes a critical concern. This is where cloud computing comes into play. It allows seamless storage of vast amounts of crucial data, benefiting healthcare service providers. With technologies like Google Healthcare Cloud API, cloud computing is poised to revolutionize storage and security systems in mobile healthcare applications.
In the dynamic landscape of healthcare app development, various factors come into play when estimating costs. Platform selection, application size, design, and administration panel efficiency all contribute to the overall development expenses. Understanding these elements is crucial for making informed decisions about your healthcare app project.